Over the years, I have racked up quite a bit of credit card debt trying to give my children the things for which they have asked. As I mentioned in another post, I have a hard time saying, “No.” Anyway, as a means of attempting to chop away at this debt, I have tried numerous online methods for earning money. However, in the end, I feel that the amount of time necessary and the money I have to put out just are not worth it. I’m going to explain my experiences, and I am hoping some of you out there can either relate or help.
1. Ebay has been the most successful online way for me to make money and clean out my house. Most of my children’s clothing and shoes look like new when they can no longer way wear them. Yes, this is because they have so much. But, I have been able to sell their items for some decent profits. Taking the pictures, though, and writing detailed descriptions does require some time. Wrapping the items and making several trips to the post office also require time. I don’t really mind the time, but when you work full-time and are bound by a schedule, it becomes somewhat difficult.
2. Mechanical Turk–This is an Amazon service in which you receive a list of hits. The work I have done involves looking up web addresses and web sites. It’s pretty simple work, but you only make between .02-.12 for every five or so. So when I am doing these tasks, I strart ti become frustrated as I realize how little I am earning for my tasks.
3. Online sites that promise you will make a ton of money with just a few hours of work per day–I have tried so many of these, i the beginning. I finally realized that I was wasting my time and money. Maybe I just did not know what I was doing, but I did try seriously for a time. I even bought a site on GoDaddy to try to embed ads and make money that way. But the process was so taxing that I just could not figure it out. I was constantly on the phone with customer service, and I still could not figure it out. In the end, I made no money, and no one would refund any of my money.
4. Yahoo Contributor–I LOVE to write, so I have tried looking for ways to make some money online writing. I have also tried Elance and some of those other sites. However, again, Ifound myself taking the time to write thoughtful articles, submit them, and watch my earnings, which were about .01 or .02.
5. Get Paid toTake Online Surveys–I have signed up for tons of these sites but have since unsubscribed myself. Most of the survey sites required me to actually sign up for credit cards and other offers in order to make any money. I have enough credit card debt; I don’t want any more. On the Panda research site, I was so close to earning my $50.00. That’s the amount at which they will start to send out money. However, when I was close to reaching that amount, they started implementing rules on me, to the point where I had to complete the offers in which I had no interest. Needless to say, I never made any money taking online surveys.
6. Mystery Shopping–Sounds perfect to me! I love to shop and would throughly enjoy being paid to shop or visit stores and then answer questions. However, yet again, in order to receive the jobs, you must put out some money. I am trying to make money, not lose money.
I am sure there are more that I am forgetting, but this is a good list of the many things I have tried. So, my question to all of you out there is this: Are there any legitimate ways to make money online? And I am not just talking about making penny or two. I also realize I will never become an instant millionaire. I am merely looking for a way to supplement my income and pay down my debt without losing quality family time. If I could find something online, I could once my children have gone to sleep. So, any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.